Notice is hereby given that a General Election for the City of Norcross will be held on Tuesday, November 5, 2019 for the purpose of electing a Mayor and two (2) members of City Council. If a runoff election is necessary, the runoff election would be held on Tuesday, December 3, 2019. The position of Mayor is currently held by Craig Newton. The City Council seats to be voted on are currently held by Chuck Paul and Dan Watch.
The qualifying period for the November 5, 2019 General Election will open at 8:30 am on Monday, August 19, 2019 and will close at 4:30 pm on Friday, August 23, 2019. The hours of qualifying each day will be 8:30 am to 4:30 pm. Any person desiring to run for office shall qualify in the Office of the City Clerk by filing a Notice of Candidacy. The qualifying fee for the office Mayor is $310.50, which is 3% of the total gross salary of the preceding year. The qualifying fee for the office of City Council is $243.00, which is 3% of the total gross salary of the preceding year (Georgia Election Code 21-2-131). All qualifying fees shall be paid at the time of qualifying (Georgia Election Code 21-2-131).
The qualifications to run for office include:
- Eligible to vote in the election in which you are a candidate (must be a registered voter).
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Must have been a legal resident of Norcross for at least one year.
- You must be a citizen of the United States.
- no person who has been convicted of a felony involving moral turpitude may register, remain registered, or vote except upon completion of the sentence and no person who has been judicially determined to be mentally incompetent may register, remain registered, or vote unless the disability has been removed.
- You must not be a defaulter for any federal, state, county, municipal, or school system taxes.
Click here to download a pdf of this notice.