Siblings Jane, Frank and Rusty Scott grew up on farms around Norcross in the 1920s and 1930s, the children of tenant farmers Ben and Emma Dodgen Scott.
Jane Scott was a basketball player during her years at Norcross High School in the early 1940s, while Rusty and Frank Scott both played with the local teams.
Jane lived in Tucker with her husband James Cunningham and two daughters, and held a number of jobs over the years, including working for the local draft board. Rusty served in Europe in the US Army; he came back to Gwinnett after he was discharged and he and his wife Lillie raised six children.
Frank Scott married Tucker-born Mary Dean Flowers in 1940, after meeting her at a baseball game.
He ran an Amoco service station in Norcross at the corner of and Buford Highway and Cemetery Street (now Holcomb Bridge Road) in the 1940s, and his family lived behind the station at that time. Their daughter Betty vividly remembers one afternoon
in the mid-1940swhen her parents were off on a fishing trip to celebrate their wedding anniversary.
While Betty and her aunt were out on a walk, a gasoline tanker making a delivery crashed into the station’s gas pumps, causing a fire that burned the business to the ground.
After World War II, the family moved to a house that Frank built on Gwinn Drive. Betty has a fond memory of attending motion pictures at the Swan Theater in Norcross in those days – during the 1950s it was located on
the first floor of the local Masonic Lodge on South Peachtree Street.